In 2010, the Eisner Pediatric & Family Medical Center celebrated 90 years of providing health care to the medically underserved communities of downtown and South Los Angeles. Founded in 1920, as the Anita M. Baldwin Hospital for Babies, EPFMC, initially, occupied three beds on the campus of California Hospital.
By 1945, we had not only opened the first preschool dental clinic in the western United States but were also overseeing 30 inpatient pediatric beds at our own facility and under a new name: California Babies’ and Children’s Hospital.
By the 1990s, operating as the Pediatric & Family Medical Center, we were providing adult and pediatric dental care; adult medical care; infant, toddler, and preschool day care; mental health services; and a variety of wellness education programs and early intervention services.
We became the Eisner Pediatric & Family Medical Center in 2002, in recognition of a $2.5 million gift from the Eisner Foundation. This gift supported the expansion of our campus on Olive Street by over 30,000 square feet. In 2004, we were awarded a section 330 grant and designation as a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). In 2007, we acquired the Women's Health Center and repurposed 4,100 square feet of our Annenberg Medical and Dental Pavilion into a dedicated home.
Today, as one of the providers of free or low-cost primary care in this community, we serve more than 32,000 patients each year.
|March 1920||The Anita M. Baldwin Hospital for Babies is incorporated.|
|August 1922||Built on the California Lutheran Hospital site, the Anita M. Baldwin Clinic functions as the Pediatric Department for the California Hospital.|
|1923||The Child Guidance Clinic opens on site.|
|May 1925||The Mother’s Milk Bank opens inside the clinic. It’s the only one of its type west of Boston.|
|April 1927||The Anita M. Baldwin Hospital for Babies name changes to California Babies’ Hospital.|
|February 1931||The Women’s Auxiliary is founded.|
|December 1939||The California Babies’ Hospital name is changed to California Babies’ and Children’s Hospital. It’s a 30-bed facility.|
|Mid-1940s||The hospital opens the first preschool dental clinic in the western United States.|
|1950s||The Hemophiliac Treatment Center opens.|
|August 1960||The hospital’s name changes to the California Pediatric Center.|
|Mid-1980s||The facility moves to its present address at 1530 S. Olive Street. Services expand to include adult care, childcare, and early intervention services. To reflect this, the name is changed to the California Pediatric & Family Medical Center.|
|Early to mid-1990s||The Center enters into contracts that enable us to provide services to more people in our community. We enter into a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) with Los Angeles County. The name changes to Pediatric & Family Medical Center.|
|1997–1998||Recognizing a need to serve more patients, we initiate a feasibility study to expand the site.|
|2002||The Eisner Foundation gives a gift to help us serve more patients. Our name is changed to the Eisner Pediatric & Family Medical Center.|
|2002–2003||Construction begins on a new building. An ongoing capital campaign is launched.|
|2003||EPFMC seeks federally qualified health center (FQHC) status. The benefits of being an FQHC include:
|December 2004||EPFMC is awarded a section 330 grant. To receive section 330 grant funds, a clinic must meet a number of requirements. It must:
|March 2007||EPFMC acquires the Women’s Health Center from California Hospital Medical Center (CHMC).|
|February 2008||EPFMC opens the L.A. High School Teen Clinic in partnership with the Los Angeles Unified School District.|
|2010||EPFMC celebrates 90 years of service to some of Los Angeles’ most underprivileged and vulnerable communities.|