Medical Assistant - Adult Department
Located in downtown Los Angeles, the USC- Eisner Family Medicine Center at California Hospital offers high-quality medical care to patients of all ages. It is staffed by board-certified USC faculty physicians working with family medicine physicians-in-training (residents) from the USC Family Medicine Residency Program at California Hospital. Together with our nurses, therapists and technicians, they specialize in providing comprehensive care with a personal touch to all members of our community.
We currently have two openings for bilingual Medical Assistants to work with our dynamic USC-Eisner Family Medicine Center at California. We are looking for an experienced front office Medical Assistant and an experienced back office MA. Under the direction of the Clinic Manager, this position performs assigned supporting functions for continuity of patient care, efficient patient flow, and provision of high quality patient care. The incumbent in this position shall operate within the framework of the Center's mission, goals and policies. This position offers a flexible schedule, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Duties include (but are not limited to):
- Assesses patients and obtains accurate information regarding their illness/or medical problems. Takes and records patient's vital signs in electronic health record system or other registry as needed.
- Records accurate information obtained from patient or parent/guardian in the electronic health record or other registry system.
- Ensures consistent patient tracking throughout the patients visit using our electronic health record system.
- Prepares patients for examinations, treatments and/or procedures. Explains procedures to patients and answers questions as needed.
- Provides patients with the information they need to make informed decisions about procedures or treatments to be completed. Reviews and obtains informed consents from patients as needed. Demonstrates the ability to determine the patietns/parents understanding of information provided to them.
- Answers patient's questions within the scope of their practice, utilizes other resources and provides addtional information as needed. If appropriate or as needed refer patients to other departments.
- Reviews patient's electronic health record and or chart for completion and accuracy; makes sure that test results are in the cart prior to the patient being seen by the doctor. Calls for missing report if needed.
- Assists physician in examination and treatment of patients.
- Administers immunizations and records information in CAIR registry and electronic health record.
- Assists in the follow-up of failed appoinments and abnormal test results as indicated by physician through electronic task or chart log using our electronic health record.
- Draws blood and/or obtains specimen for test, labels them accurately, and ensures appropriate transport of specimen with appropriate and completed requisition.
- Performs functions required by CPSP for prenatal patients.
- Maintains and stocks patient care supplies, sterilizes equipment, and keeps work area clean and orderly.
- Supports in the medical providers and other staff in the department as needed.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions.
- Ability to use good reasoning and judgement and react calmly in emergency situations.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to resolve basic customer service issues and/or escalate to supervisor as needed in order to positively interact with patients, clinical staff, and vendors.
- Ability to read, write, and speak in a clear and professional manner; includes active listening skills and understanding medical terminology.
- Ability to document and review patient information on Electronic Health Records System.
- Proficient in beginning/intermediate computer skills and Microsoft Office.
- Excellent follow through skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and adapt to change.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be fluent in English and Spanish.
- Must have a current driver's license, automobile insurance, and driving record in good standing.
- Must have a Medical Assistant certification.
- Current CPR certification is required.
- Family Planning Certified a plus. If no current certification, the selected applicant must be certified within 12 months of hiring.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
Note: Offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and post offer physical.
Location - Los Angeles, California