Important ACA Deadlines
The deadline for purchasing health insurance in 2014 is fast approaching. Under the Affordable Care Act, you must secure health insurance coverage unless:
- The lowest-priced coverage available to you would cost more than 8% of your household income.
- You don’t have to file a federal tax return because your income is too low.
- You’re not a legal resident of the United States.
- You’re a member of a federally recognized tribe or eligible for services through an Indian Health Services provider
- You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare.
- You’re a member of a recognized health care sharing ministry.
- You’re incarcerated and not awaiting the disposition of charges against you.
- You qualify for a hardship exemption.
March 31 is the last day to sign up for coverage during the 2014 open enrollment period.
Covered California Deadlines
If you are purchasing a plan through Covered California, the state’s health exchange, note the following deadlines:
Last day to submit payment for March 1 coverage - Feb. 25
Last day to choose a plan for coverage that begins April 1 - March 15
Last day to submit payment for April 1 coverage - March 26
Last day to sign up for 2014 coverage - March 31
You must be a legal resident of California to purchase a plan through Covered California. Residents covered by an employer’s plan may still purchase through Covered California. However, you are not eligible for assistance paying your premium or out-of-pocket costs.
What About Medi-Cal Enrollment?
If you qualify for enrollment in Medi-Cal coverage, you can sign up at any time. Medi-Cal enrollments continue throughout the year. If you qualify, your coverage will date back to the start of the month in which you applied.
People under age 65, including people with disabilities, with income of less than $15,856 for a single individual and $32,499 for a family of four, may qualify for Medi-Cal coverage.
Need Assistance to Sign Up?
Contact our Managed Care Department at 213-747-5542, ext. 3202. It’s not too late to get one-on-one help sorting out your options and enrolling in a plan.