Whether this is your first pregnancy or you’re an experienced mom who knows what to expect, you’ll find comfort and support in the care and professionalism of the EPFMC prenatal team. So what happens first? Because the health of the mother is so key to the health of the baby, we begin by giving you an examination. What’s covered in the examination? We:
- Write down answers to questions about your health history
- Ask you about any recent or ongoing health problems
- Record your current weight
- Check for high blood pressure
- Run blood tests to check for anemia, diabetes, STDs, and other medical issues that need attention
- Give you an ultrasound if needed
When Your Pregnancy Is High-Risk
What if there is a problem? If your tests reveal reasons for concern, you’ll be cared for by our High-Risk Pregnancy team. Results that could trigger this need:
- High blood pressure
- Twins or other multiple births
- Past miscarriages
Whether your pregnancy is normal or will require closer monitoring, our nurse-midwives play a central role in your care throughout your pregnancy.
Next: Learn more about our midwife services.