Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Just in time for the big dinner – it’s a classic macaroni and cheese recipe that won’t challenge your diet or your commitment to healthy eating. Try this delicious lower fat version of a true classic.
2 C macaroni
½ C onion, chopped
½ C fat-free evaporated milk
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1¼ C (4 oz) low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions—but do not add salt to the cooking water. Drain and set aside.
2. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Lightly spray a saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes over medium heat.
5. In a bowl, combine macaroni, onion, and the remaining ingredients, and mix thoroughly.
6. Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 C pasta
Each serving provides:
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|
|Total fiber||1 g|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To get more delicious and healthy recipes, download Deliciously Healthy Dinners.
Reprinted with permission from Keep the Beat Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Dinners. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. NIH Publication No. 10-2921. Page 78. October 2009.