Mexican Lasagna – A Healthy Twist on an Italian Classic
A delicious twist on a classic Italian dish, this heart healthy Mexican lasagna is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. This recipe slashes the sodium, cholesterol, and fat content found in the original while delivering a potassium-rich layered flavor feast. You’ll make this one again and again.
10 6-inch corn tortillas
2 C canned low-sodium black beans, rinsed
4 C Super Quick Chunky Tomato Sauce (click to see the recipe)
1½ C Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 bag (10 oz) baby spinach leaves, rinsed
2 C grilled chicken, diced (leftover chicken works great)
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried coriander)
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Lightly spray a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Place two to three corn tortillas on the bottom, trimming as necessary for a good fit.
3. Add beans, 1 cup tomato sauce, and ½ cup grated cheese. Top with two to three more corn tortillas. Children can help layer the “lasagna” ingredients.
4. Add 1 cup tomato sauce, spinach, and ½ cup cheese. Top with two more corn tortillas.
5. Add chicken and 1 cup tomato sauce. Top with two more corn tortillas.
6. Add 1 cup tomato sauce, ½ cup cheese, and cilantro.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned and chicken is reheated.
8. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into eight even squares, and serve.
Prep time: 10 minutes (15 minutes with homemade sauce)
Cook time: 35 minutes (50 minutes with homemade sauce)
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 square
Each serving provides:
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated fat||4 g|
|Total fiber||6 g|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To get more recipes that you can make with your children, download Keep the Beat Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals .
Reprinted with permission from Keep the Beat Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. NIH Publication No. 10-7531. Page 19. December 2010.