Purple Power Bean Wrap
What do you get when students compete to create the best-tasting and healthiest recipe? The Purple Power Bean Wrap. This creation is the brainchild of the six students from Newman Elementary School in Needham, MA, who won a local healthy recipe contest. After testing multiple recipes over several weeks, they chose this one. It uses a perfect blend of avocado, purple cabbage, and beans to create a healthy and delicious vegetarian meal.
For a perfectly healthy combo, try the Purple Power Bean Wrap with the homemade Zesty Tomato Soup.
1 tsp lemon zest (make zest from juiced lemon)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon, juiced
2 cups canned low-sodium great northern beans, drained, rinsed
½ cup fresh avocado, peeled, pitted, puréed
1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
2 ¼ tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups fresh purple cabbage, finely shredded
6 whole-wheat tortillas, 10”
3 cups fresh romaine lettuce, shredded
1. Grate lemon rind on hand-held grater or citrus zester to make zest. Juice lemons. Set aside.
2. Purée beans in a food processor or a blender until smooth. Put into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Purée avocado, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, chili powder, and salt until smooth. Mix into pureed beans. Add shredded cabbage. Mix well.
4. You may cover and refrigerate at 40°F for no more than 2 hours to avoid browning of avocado.
5. For each wrap, place 1 cup of bean filling on the bottom half of tortilla. Top with ½ cup of lettuce. Roll in the form of a burrito. Cut diagonally. Serve immediately.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes six wraps
Serving size: 1 wrap
Each serving provides:
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated fat||< 1 g|
|Dietary fiber||8 g|
|Vitamin A||2880 IU (144 RAE)|
|Vitamin C||24 mg|
To get more recipes that you can make with your children, download Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes.
Reprinted with permission from Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes. U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. FNS-443. Page 78. 2012.